Sunday, October 29, 2006

Forever Baby and a Gold Medal

Okay Susie, I'm posting so you better comment!!!

Yeah, yeah, October 11th was a long time ago I admit, but I was busy coaching a Colorado State champion marching band and colorguard and becoming a forever mommy. When's a girl to blog with such a schedule?

I'm proud to tell you all that the Sheridan Marching band swept 2A championship and won by 9 points! My girls won best colorguard in state too! I'm soooo proud of them!

My other proud moment is seen in the pictures above. The little booger became our "forever baby" on October 27, 2006! He's ours. He'll be issued a new birth certificate with our last name on it and can never get rid of us (hee, hee). I can't begin to tell you the exact time of the proclomation of adoption, but I bet John can... he says it was 11:20 AM. Figures. He's an architect!

Thursday morning I awoke to a thick blanket of snow which was accumulating rather quickly. By noon, the snow stopped and the melt-down began allowing the roadways to clear up for our Friday adventure.

I know I didn't sleep a wink Thursday night. I was too excited. My Muffin Man was going to become MINE! John was trying to finish a project for work, therefore I ended up sleeping longer than planned. I readied myself, got the Booger up, fed and dressed then sat him on the floor in the living room so I could fetch his car seat. When I returned to the living room, I found my smiling baby covered in icky-gooeys. He decided to have a second go-around with the bananas and oatmeal. Shaking my head I decided a wipey would have to do, and I prayed the judge didn't look too closely at the knit of Kyle's sweater to see some oats clinging. How awful would it be to miss our hearing - the one we waited YEARS for!

In our lateness, Stink and Perrball (my best bud and her hubby) made it to the courthouse to find out the Douglas County Courts had moved to a brand new justice center. Perry called John's dying cell phone to inform us of the change. We were headed to the wrong place!

At the justice center, a line stretched out the door on to the icy sidewalk. Children ran and slid all around. Turns out that Friday is "Adoption Day" at the court and all adoption cases are scheduled for 9AM. By the time we made it through "airport security" (Kyle set off the alarm with his car seat and John... why does that boy have to carry so many electronics???), our whole party was waiting for us at the top of the central staircase. The wait began.

When we were finally called in, the hearing lasted not even five whole minutes! The judge asked how the baby was doing. He then stated he had carefully reviewed all the paper work, felt it was in the best interest of the child to be adopted by us, and proclaimed Kyle to be Kyle Robert G. from that moment forward. That was it. Kyle was our forever baby!

Later that evening, over 30 people and various small children crowded our home to celebrate this momentous occasion. Three kinds of chilli were served, and Kyle was passed around like an Olympic hero! He was all giggles, grins and sweet potatoes.

October 27th will be Kyle's "Forever Day" and celbrated annually. John and I both want him to know that we cherish him and that his Forever Day was one of the happiest days of our lives.

I feel like I've been holding my breath for 7 and 1/2 months. Holding the decree of adoption in my hand was like making a giant sigh of relief. It's over. While we waited in line to pay Vital Stats for the new birth certificate, our social worker leaned in and said, "So, when are you putting in your ap for the next one?"



pt said...

January?!?! Wow -- you guys are gluttons. Still, if you're willing go for it! I suggest a girl just to keep things interesting. ;-)

"Stink & perrball"? Hmmmm... what are you calling us? (or do I want to know?)

Congratulations on Kyle -- that's wonderful news. May God bless you richly!

Anonymous said...


I love these pictures. You have a look of sheer joy on your face - I'm not sure I've ever seen you so radiant!
Know what else? I love YOU! You're a great mom and Kyle is so blessed to have you!
Love, Susie

Win & Wife said...

Congrats! This is wonderful.

D. Gudger said...

We'll just begin the process in January - it may take 2 years before another Wee One comes home. If we don't start now, Kyle may be 18 when the next one comes and I know I can't do the sleep deprevation thing at that age :)

Susie, thanks. You are a good friend and encourager.

Sydnie's daddy said...

LOL!!! So exciting to see him happy with a happy family. I'm sure he'll be even more adventure as he keeps growing.

And we heard proof that he wants to play a brass instrument, too. Bzzzzz Bzzzzzz.

C.J. Darlington said...

Totally awesome. You guys are one cute family!

Jennie :-) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeff and Jennie :-) said...

John & Darcie - Wow! Huge congrats that Kyle is now yours FOREVER!! This is wonderful news. God's richest blessings to all of you as you continue to grow as a family, and as you raise Kyle to know and love Jesus!

Love, Jennie :-)