Monday, June 09, 2008

I "knee'd" a break?

And I'm getting one.

Tomorrow an orthopedic surgeon will drill three holes in my left knee and shave out all the smashed, torn up goo. I hope they make a DVD of it. I've heard of doctors recording artrhoscopic surgeries and giving the patient a copy as a souvenier. Litterbox can sport a YouTube short: "Inside Darcie's Knee".

Am I scared? Not yet. Ask me again when I'm laying on a hard table, watching blurry blobs swim around my head and a voice says, "This will only be a little prick . . . "

Surgery is scheduled for 12:30 PM tomorrow. I can't eat anything solid after midnight. I can't skip breakfast! I've never been able to successfully skip that morning meal - my stomach gets ugly when its empty. I'd rather have to be at the hospital at 5 AM and get it done by 7 to avoid the whole hunger thing.

I mean, come on. How the heck do "they" expect me to feed the Booger and not stuff my own face? The OR nurse told me today that one swallow of water can cancel the whole thing. Grrr.

On Saturday, John, the Booger and I drove up to Dillon on the other side of the tunnel. We biked from Lake Dillon to Breckenridge. 30 miles round trip. 4 hours of bike-seat-butt. It was awesome!

We fought head winds gusting to over 50 mph. That's hard enough alone on a bike, but pulling a child trailer? Uphill? Our average speed up to Breck, was 4 mph. And that was when we dipped behind some trees or a hill that sort of blocked the wind.

Scenery was amazing! I've lived here for 13.5 years and am still awed by the massive Rocky Mountains. Thanks to the wind, we had a rare day when the fresh fallen snow-capped mountains popped out against a cobalt sky. The contrast was so sharp, I had to squint to stare.
John shot some great pix that I'll post soon.

I needed that. Burning out my legs gave me pre-surgery satisfaction. I don't know what recovery will be like. I've injured my knee twice since surgery was scheduled. Who knows what the doctor will find in there? So, I don't know how long I'll be off the bike, off the trails, and stuck here in Denver.

At least I have my beautiful backyard!

3 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

Darcie,

You are in my prayers and we will pray for you at WFTJ.

I'm allergic to cats so I can't hang out with you at your house but give me a call if you need someone to talk to or pray with.

Love you!

Jan Parrish said...

I posted a prayer link to your blog from mine. (((h)))

ReadingRobin said...

I saw your prayer request a Jan's Blog. I prayed for God's strength, peace and provision as you heal from your surgery! Rest and be still, God will handle it all. With love, Robin