Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Don't hate me b/c I live in Denver...

Today on the daily dog-walk I saw crocuses! Their little purple or yellow heads straining through the winter-packed dirt to soak up the warm rays of sunlight. Yesterday after the dog-walk I rushed into my backyard hoping to see purple and yellow (Houghton colors!). Dirt. Dog poo. Lots of it. No flowers. I suppose Caleb must have excavated my gardens for the tasty bulbs and had himself a meal. I'll know if they start sprouting up within the lawn...

By the way, it's been over 70 degrees for the past two days. Don't hate me b/c I live in Denver!

Early spring-like weather draws people from their homes. I've lived in this neighborhood for almost exactly 6 years and many of neighbors I have yet to catch a glimpse of and believe me, I walk a LOT!

Today I met an elderly man named Linus who was setting out some slightly used tires, a step ladder, card table and stool free for the taking. He and his wife are in their upper 80's and decided it's time to move back to IL where their family lives. For 26 years they have called the house home. I've never seen either one of them before. Anyway, aside from his commenting over Caleb and Gabriel (we had a doggie reunion between Caleb & Gabe) and stories of twenty-five dog-bites, he told me how he and his wife took up skiing at the ages of 55! They skied until their 70's! Collisions by careless skiers ended the activity. Only having gone three times in my entire life, there is hope for me yet!

While we were chatting, another neighbor came sauntering down the side-walk talking to the pretty doggies. It's the woman who has one of the most well-kept beautiful gardens in the neighborhood. I envy her climatis plants each summer as well as her sage and lavender. Probably in her late 70's she had a life and a twinkle about her that was striking. She's a tiny Asian woman with white hair dressed in a navy sweatsuit. Immediately the step-stool caught her eye and within minutes she was hefting it toward the walkway, climbing up the stairs with more energy than I could ever muster right now.

All that said, it struck me how beautiful these people are. Old folk who our society wants to warehouse or plain toss out. The stories of the 1940's, Ranchwood furniture, depression glass and dog bites are rich with detail and meaning. Old and wrinkly isn't ugly. Fashion magazines lie. It's a conspiracy to sell over-priced moisturizers. Both of these people were beautiful and I enjoyed chatting for well over half and hour. I'm sad Linus is moving as soon as his house sells. I wish I'd met him earlier. Edie, too is moving soon. Downsizing. They live in some of the larger homes in the neighborhood and upkeep is becoming more difficult as time passes. I hope Kyle, when he comes ANYTIME now, will be able to meet and appreciate older people rather than scoff at them, thinking of them as a nuisance. Guess what? We're all gonna be old someday. Won't suprise me if we are treated then the way we treat old people now. God has a funny way of doing that sort of thing...

No comments: